Rick Nash Downgraded to Week-to-Week

Well, this isn't good.

Some bad news came from the Rangers' camp earlier this afternoon when it was announced that Rick Nash, who was initially thought to be days away from returning from his bone bruise, is now considered "week-to-week" and will be shut down until next week. The news concerning Nash's injury comes just one day after the Rangers were defeated in overtime by the Los Angeles Kings on the strength of an Anze Kopitar hat trick in a game that left all of the Rangers, especially Dan Girardi, with quite a few bumps and bruises.

The uncertainty surrounding Nash's recovery time is troubling especially with captain Ryan McDonagh on the shelf for an unknown amount of time with his concussion. Dan Girardi and Derick Brassard had maintenance days and missed practice today, but are expected in the lineup tomorrow against the Flyers. The last time the Rangers and the Flyers met, this happened...

Naturally, tomorrow's game is expected to get plenty nasty.

After meeting the Flyers tomorrow the Rangers will host the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday and then travel west to Toronto to play the Toronto Marlies Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday. After Thursday's meeting with the Phaneuf-less Leafs the Rangers don't play again until Sunday when they meet up the Detroit Red Wings on the Garden ice. The relatively light schedule comes at an opportune time and will hopefully allow both McDonagh and Nash to heal up.

These are some crucial games ahead of the Rangers as the trade deadline (February 29th) looms. Missing two cornerstone players like Nash and McDonagh for the next stretch of games means that the Rangers' depth will have to step up and offer more consistency and offensive than it has in the past few games. We'll have to keep our ears open for any further news regarding Nash and his bone bruise and for McDonagh and his concussion. When developments and updates surface, we'll be sure to let you know