Riveters Sign Harvard's Miye D'Oench

The Riveters add another young forward to the mix by signing the second player to be drafted in the 2015 NWHL Draft; Miye D'Oench.

From the NWHL's Press Release:

New York, NY — Miye D’Oench has signed a contract with the New York Riveters for the 2016-17 season, General Manager Chad Wiseman announced Thursday. D’Oench and the Riveters agreed to terms on a one-year, $10,000 contract.

D’Oench (Harvard) was drafted fifteenth overall by the Boston Pride in the 2015 NWHL Draft, but was traded to the Riveters for Alex Carpenter and a $2,000 draft tax. The forward scored 122 points (64g, 58a) in 135 NCAA games.

"I grew up in New York, and all my life I've been a huge Rangers fan," said D’Oench. "Next year I get to represent New York and become a part of the history of women's sports. That's what I'm most excited about. On top of that, I get to play the game I love for at least another year."

D’Oench is the second pick from the 2015 NWHL Draft to sign a contract for the upcoming season, following Amanda Leveille who signed with the Buffalo Beauts.

Smart, quick, and skilled Miye D'Oench has a lot to offer the 2016-17 Riveters. She will likely face unfair and lofty expectations because of the player that was traded to the Pride that brought the New York native to the Riveters, but her work ethic on the ice will likely win over fans in New York in a hurry.

D'Oench's greatest asset is likely her speed. Her quick feet help her hunt down loose pucks and helped her average 0.90 points per game while at Harvard.

D'Oench rarely takes penalties and was trusted both on the power play and on the penalty kill for the Harvard Crimson. She might not score as many points as Alex Carpenter will score if she signs with the Boston Pride, but she has the skill set to be a part of the solution in New York as a rookie forward.

We'll have more on D'Oench throughout the offseason.