Janine Weber has Re-Signed with the Riveters

Another key forward returns to the fold. Austrian star Janine Weber has taken a significant pay cut to rejoin the Riveters for their second season.

Today the New York Riveters announced that they have re-signed Austrian-born forward Janine Weber for the 2016-17 NWHL season. Weber signed a one-year, $13,500 contract after being one of the highest-paid forwards from last season's roster with her $19,500 contract.

The NWHL's press release on the Weber signing:

New York, NY — Janine Weber has signed a contract with the New York Riveters for the 2016-17 season, General Manager Chad Wiseman announced Wednesday. Weber and the Riveters agreed to terms on a one-year, $13,500 contract.

Weber scored 9 points (3g, 6a) in 18 regular season games with New York last season, and played in both of their playoff games. She was the fourth highest scorer on the Riveters in 2015-16, and tied for third on the team in assists.

“I'm excited to return to the Riveters this season because we had a great group of girls last year and have already signed some new exciting additions to the team,” said Weber. “We had the best fans in the league, and I can't wait for the season to start.”

Weber was the first player to sign a contract with an NWHL franchise before the inaugural season last summer. She has played with the Austrian National Team since her debut at the 2008 IIHF U18 World Championship.

Last season Weber had a notably low 6.2% shooting percentage, but she was also one of New York's best skaters and passers. Her skill set seems like it was custom-made for the "new look" that we are expecting to see with the Riveters offseason acquisitions. Adding Weber to a team that has brought back its core group from last season and has added big names like Amanda Kessel and Kaleigh Fratkin to the fold brings the promise of a team that will be dangerous on the rush and keep the opposition honest.

With Weber signed the Riveters and general manager Chad Wiseman now turn their attention to the remaining four or five forward contracts, the remaining one or two defender contracts, and the single goalie contract that remain for the team to be complete (in addition to the announcement of practice players).

Clearly, there will be some major changes from last season's roster given that Weber is one of just six Riveters returning from the 2015-16 roster thus far.

We'll keep you posted on any further Riveters-related news throughout the offseason.