Raanta re-signed; Potential college recruit; Saving with Shattenkirk

Today's New York Rangers Notes

Okay, so the first official steps were taken in the Rangers off-season agenda yesterday. While no one was touched on the defensive or offensive side of the roster, Henrik Lundqvist's reliable insurance policy was re-upped for a nice bargain.

I'm not talking State Farm, Allstate, or even Geico either. I'm talking about our Finnish backup Antti Raanta, who is changing the "15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more" game, signing a two million dollar contract and solidifying New York's goaltending duo for another two years. Full details. [Blueshirt Banter] [CBS NY] [NY Post] [NBC Sports]

Glad to have ya Antti!

In saying no one was touched on the offensive side, it does not mean the Rangers are not looking to add some depth from the pool of undrafted college free agents.

Drake Caggiula, who recently won a national championship with North Dakota, skating on a line with two other highly recognized prospects in Nick Schmaltz and Brock Boeser, is apparently on New York's radar for a potential signing.

Caggiula might be the player the Rangers badly need to replenish a weak prospect pool. [Blueshirt Banter]

While nothing has been established for the Rangers' defensive core yet, some see Kevin Shattenkirk of the St. Louis Blues as a potential trade candidate for New York this off-season. [The Hockey News] [Daily News]

Shattenkirk, who would be a great offensive asset for the Rangers' back end, boasts a contract cheaper than Ryan McDonagh's current deal. [General Fanager] Something New York could use to ease their current salary cap situation.