Report: Rangers And Dylan McIlrath Agree To $800K Contract Extension

Per a report, the New York Rangers and Dylan McIlrath have agreed to a (I’m assuming) one-year deal worth $800K.

It should be noted that while I’ve never heard of Tim before, I’d be shocked if someone went out of their way to lie about McIlrath’s negotiations. Not exactly a high-profile case.

Anyway, if true, this is a reasonable term for McIlrath — who really wasn’t permitted to show himself off to the coaching staff -- and the Rangers now get another opportunity to actually see what they have in the young defenseman.

This would leave just Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes to be handled before Jeff Gorton would be done with his RFA negotiations. Kreider, I’m guessing, will be locked down long term while Hayes is more than likely looking at a bridge deal.

Thoughts on this guys? McIlrath was never going to break the bank but this is a very no-risk, smart extension.