clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Riveters Sign Goaltender Sojung Shin

New, comment
A Day In The Life Of The New York Riveters Women's Hockey Team Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

The Riveters hiring goaltending coach Rebecca Ruegsegger Baker makes even more sense with today’s news. The Riveters have signed their last contracted goaltender for the 2016-17 in Sojung Shin.

From the NWHL’s press release:

Sojung Shin has signed a contract with the New York Riveters for the 2016-17 season, General Manager Chad Wiseman announced Wednesday. Shin and the Riveters agreed to terms on a one-year, $13,500 contract.

"I heard the NWHL is one of best league in the world,” said Shin. “I think the NWHL would give me a chance to develop for 2018 Olympics. I'm honored to be part of New York Riveters team and excited to play in the NWHL for next season!"

Shin has represented South Korea in two Asian Winter Games. two IIHF Women’s Challenge Cup of Asia tournaments, and the 2014 Olympic Games qualification round.

“Sojung is a talented goaltender and a great teammate,” said Ruegsegger Baker, Riveters head goaltending coach and South Korean National Team goaltending consultant. “We are excited for her to join the Riveters organization and have the opportunity to compete against the top players in the world in preparation for the 2018 Olympics in PyeongChang."

With Jaimie Leonoff already under contract the Riveters didn’t need to break the piggy bank for their second contracted goaltender. Still, Shin and Leonoff have a combined cap hit of just $23,500.

It’s safe to say that Leonoff’s contract continues to be the best deal of the offseason.

Shin’s addition to the team closes the door on Nana Fujimoto’s return to New York. But with obligations to Japan’s national team and apparent multiple upper-body injuries last season, Fujimoto’s return was already doubtful.

Shin and Janine Weber will keep the Riveters’ international identity alive.

The Riveters now have just one contract left to sign and that signature will almost certainly belong to a top-six forward. Hannah Brandt is reportedly in conversations with Wiseman and the Riveters about signing with the club that traded for her rights earlier in the summer.