clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Riveters Move to Devils Practice Facility in Newark

New, comment
Minnesota Wild v New Jersey Devils Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Next season the New York Riveters will play their home games at the Barnabas Health Hockey House in Newark, New Jersey. The Barnabas Health Hockey House is the New Jersey Devils official practice ice and is part of the Prudential Center in Newark.

Barnabas Health Hockey House is familiar ground for many NWHL fans. The Riveters’ new home rink was the location of the NWHL’s Isobel Cup Playoff games in 2016.

There had been rumors about the Riveters moving to a new home rink even during the 2015-16 regular season. The Riveters are leaving behind the Aviator Sports and Events Center in Brooklyn, New York.

The Barnabas Hockey House is a smaller rink than Aviator, seating fewer than 800. Aviator’s main rink, where the Riveters played, could reportedly seat over 2,500.

What the rink lacks in size it will make up for in accessibility for many New Yorkers and New Jerseyans. The Barnabas Hockey House is a short walk from Newark’s Penn Station, making it easier to get to for many fans who don’t drive.

“The National Women’s Hockey League has done an amazing job showcasing its talented athletes and providing inspirational stories to hockey fans everywhere,” said Hugh Weber, president of Prudential Center and the New Jersey Devils.

“We are thrilled to welcome the Riveters to Newark and share a vision with the team and the league to grow the sport in our communities throughout New Jersey. Women’s hockey plays a critical role in the development of young athletes and we are excited to be an integral part of the movement.”

The Riveters roster is complete, the home arena is (finally) sorted out, and the 2016-17 season is just around the corner. All that needs to happen now is determining the six player practice roster.