clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Madison Packer will be the Riveters You Can Play Ambassador

New, comment
A Day In The Life Of The New York Riveters Women's Hockey Team Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

There are a lot of reasons to love Riveters forward Madison Packer, but what’s the harm in adding one more?

Today the NWHL has announced a partnership with the You Can Play Project for next season.

“The league and our players have supported You Can Play since we launched last year and we're honored to make a formal announcement today,” said NWHL Commissioner Dani Rylan. “The NWHL is committed to promoting LGBT equality and the respect of all of our athletes, fans, coaches, and staff. Alongside the NHL, AHL, and CWHL, the hockey community can proudly say we are the most inclusive professional sport in the world.”

For those that are curious, the CWHL has been partnered with You Can Play since December 2012. They were the first league to partner with the organization.

The You Can Play Project is an organization that is dedicated to ensuring safety, respect, and equality for all athletes regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

“Our partnership with the NWHL is extremely significant and sends a powerful message to athletes, young women in particular, that hockey is a place of respect and inclusion. The NWHL has already broken barriers to promote women’s equality in sports and will continue to do so as the first US women’s professional sports league to partner with You Can Play. No matter who you are or who you love, the NWHL welcomes you.” -Anna Aagenes, Vice President of Program Development & Community Relations for You Can Play.

Each NWHL team has an ambassador that will help lead LGBT inclusion throughout the season - Emily Pfalzer for the Beauts, Molly Engstrom for the Whale, Brittany Ott for the Pride, and Madison Packer for the Riveters.

If you were asked what New York Riveters hockey was all about it would be hard to find a player that embodies it better than Packer.

Packer is skilled, strong, and fearless. On the ice she works hard with and away from the puck and plays physical, honest hockey. Off the ice Packer is one of the team’s most popular and beloved players. She is a natural fit for the role of YCP ambassador.

The Riveters and the NWHL’s other three teams will also have a You Can Play night during a home game in the upcoming season. The time and date for those events has yet to be announced.