Chris Kreider Sidelined Indefinitely With Blood Clot, Vinni Lettieri Recalled From Hartford Wolf Pack

Chris Kreider left Wednesday night’s game vs. the Washington Capitals with an upper-body injury.  It has been announced he will be out indefinitely with a blood clot in his right arm.

In recent years a number of players have been impacted by blood clots. They include Steven Stamkos who had surgery in 2016, Tomas Fleischmann, Kimmo Timonen, Tomas Vokoun and Pascal Dupuis.

There is no universal standard to treatment of blood clots. Stamkos’ case was a unique one for example.

Via thestar.com

“When we all raise our arms above our head, we close down the angle in the vein draining our arm, between our collarbone and our first rib,” said Dr. Thomas Forbes, a vascular surgeon at the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre. “Some people develop what’s called venous thoracic outlet syndrome, where they present with a blood clot in their arm, typically their dominant arm.”

Forbes, who is not involved with Stamkos’s case, believes repetitive trauma from the swing action behind his right-handed shot could have contributed to the clot.

The corresponding move was made earlier this morning when the Rangers announced the recall of Vinni Lettieri from the Hartford Wolf Pack.

Lettieri was signed after a solid senior season with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, in which he scored 19 goals and adding 18 assists in 38 games. This year he has played very well for the Pack tallying 12 goals and nine assists for 21 points. He is tied for fifth in goals scored and tied for 10th in points scored by AHL rookies.

This story is in its early stages, and more will be known once Kreider receives a thorough evaluation. He could be out days, weeks or months. There is no way to judge it, and hopefully he has a quick and successful recovery.

This story was updated to reflect announcement of blood clot in Chris Kreider’s arm.