clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Riveters: Johnston and Russo on NHL Network

New, comments
Connor Murphy

New York Riveters All-Stars Ashley Johnston and Rebecca Russo appeared on the NHL Network last night to talk about the growth of women’s hockey, the Riveters’ season and Stretch’s love of the Montreal Canadiens.

Rebecca Russo mentioned Julie Chu, Mark Messier and Martin St. Louis as players she looked up to growing up and Stretch singled out Cassie Campbell as her greatest inspiration.

During the chat with Michelle McMahon and Steve Mears the New York Post’s Feb. 20th article on the Riveters’ captain was mentioned.

“So I work about a nine hour day at a robotics firm, we make dispensing equipment,” Johnston explained. “I’m an industrial engineer there. So basically I’m in charge of making things go together better. From there I drive from Albany to Newark and practice with the team, do a quick little workout afterwards and then back up to Albany or spend the night in Jersey City and do it all over again.”

Unsurprisingly Johnston admits that her days start with plenty of coffee.

The Riveters wrap up their regular season this Sunday in Newark against the Boston Pride in what could be a preview of the eventual 2017 Isobel Cup Final. It will also be the Riveters debut of 2016 first overall pick Kelsey Koelzer. But Riveters fans might be even more interested in Sunday’s other game.

The winner of the Beauts at Whale game this Sunday will meet the Pride in the first round of the playoffs. The loser will meet the New York Riveters next Friday in Newark. It’s hard to believe but the NWHL regular season is over. The playoffs are here and so too is a Riveters team that has what it takes to take down any team in the league.