Rangers Vs. Flyers: A Sign Of Things To Come?

  • The Rangers are going to have some issues in the playoffs protecting leads, especially if they continue to transform into this shell they seem to like so much. Henrik Lundqvist being Henrik Lundqvist will help (as it did last night) but it won’t do everything. And against Carey Price in Montreal? Leads are going to be tough to come by.
  • I’m going to guess this is Alain Vigneault’s idea forward lineup moving into the playoffs. The media is already preparing us for the “this is what it is so why ask about it?” stuff. That means Tanner Glass on the fourth line, Pavel Buchnevich in the press box and Jimmy Vesey/Oscar Lindberg playing less than 10 minutes a game.
  • I also think once you replace Ryan McDonagh with Kevin Klein you get the full playoff lineup. Larry Brooks is already speculating Glasss - Oscar Lindberg - Jesper Fast is going to be the playoff fourth line, so.
  • There were good things, though. Quite a few of them. Mats Zuccarello has three ridiculous apples. Zuccarello did a lot of the dirty work for the Rangers offense in terms of puck movement. On the power play Mika Zibanejad let loose a stupid-good rip  for a goal and Brendan Smith’s finish was just as good.
  • Sometimes I watch Smith play and wonder why he doesn’t score 100 points a year. Other times I watch Smith play and wonder how he scores 10 points a year. Overall, I’ve been happy with his inclusion in this lineup, though. I hope he stays around.
  • Brady Skjei with another apple. One more point and he has 40 on the year. Can’t say I saw the offense coming, but him being a big part of this defense was to be expected.
  • Derek Stepan with two assists and came damn close to a very pretty goal. Stepan — who many still consider not a first line center or even a good hockey player -- now has 54 points on the year. /
  • Again, these games mean nothing, so remind me why Vesey is playing just 10 minutes a night (for what it’s worth he played 14 against Philadelphia)? Or why Buchnevich is in the press box. Even if you’re not going to use him in the playoffs, at least let him get some reps in for guys you want to rest.
  • The home losing streak will rear its ugly head in the playoffs in terms of narratives I can do without. Again: I don’t care the Rangers are losing games at home because of where they’re losing them. I’m concerned about how they’re losing them.
  • Thoughts on this, guys?/