New York Rangers Will Have A Second Buyout Window (And How That Window Works)

In his article on the Jesper Fast extension, Larry Brooks reported that Fast actually filed for salary arbitration before he signed his extension with the Rangers. From his story:

The Rangers took care of one piece of their remaining summer contract business on Wednesday, signing restricted free agent Jesper Fast to a three-year deal worth $1.85 million per after the winger had filed for salary arbitration ...

The arbitration filing means the Rangers will have a second buyout window of 48 hours available to them at a to-be-determined time this summer.

The Rangers already bought Dan Girardi out this summer, but they will now have a secondary window open for a buyout should they choose to use it. The only player I could possibly see the secondary window being used on would be Marc Staal, and I don’t think that’s a real possibility. The Rangers had the secondary window opened to them last year as well and elected not to use it.

In case you need it, Mika marked out the rules of the secondary buyout window and how they differ from the first.

Thoughts?