New York Rangers’ Asking Price For Rick Nash Has Been Set

As we inch closer to the February 26 trade deadline, the rumors surrounding the New York Rangers’ impending fire sale will begin to intensify. We caught a slight glimpse of that on tonight’s edition of TSN’s Insider Trading, with the Rangers’ reported asking price for Rick Nash and Michael Grabner being revealed by Bob McKenzie.

Given just those two deals alone, the Rangers could be sitting comfortably with three 1st round picks heading into the 2018 Draft. That’s not counting any of the other deals the Rangers may lined up with the likes of Ryan McDonagh, Mats Zuccarello, Nick Holden and David Desharnais to name a few.

The price may seem a little steep for Nash, but if the past is any indication, the Rangers’ ask is similar to what the Chicago Blackhawks received for Andrew Ladd just two seasons ago. The Martin Hanzal deal to the Minnesota Wild is also a nice comparable with the Arizona Coyotes bringing back a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and a conditional 4th round pick.

A high profile rental like Nash won’t come cheap and it’s encouraging to see the Rangers aiming for the stars. Whether a team meets their demands is anyone’s guess, but as we crawl closer to the end of the month, Jeff Gorton’s plan will become very clear.