Chris Kreider To Have Rib Resection Surgery, Remains Out Indefinitely

According to the New York Rangers official Twitter account, forward Chris Kreider will undergo surgery to have a rib resected. After being sidelined with a blood clot in his arm, this further step indicates that the speedy power forward will be out injured for some time. The Rangers announced that he will be sidelined indefinitely following the surgery.

According to Wikipedia, a rib resection is a procedure used to treat thoracic outlet syndrome and involves the surgical removal of a rib. For context, when Steven Stamos was out with a similar blood clot, it was reported that his treatment included having part of his rib removed as well.

This injury may affect the Rangers’ cap situation as we approach the trade deadline, which our very own Hockey Stat Miner has covered in the attached tweet thread.