Alexandar Georgiev Assigned to Wolf Pack

Wolf Pack play back-to-back games this weekend.

The New York Rangers announced the assignment of Alexandar Georgiev to the Hartford Wolf Pack, and the recall of Marek Mazanec.

Before jumping to conclusions, it would appear this is to get Georgiev some game action. He’s made one start this season, and the Rangers don’t play again until Sunday vs. the Calgary Flames. Given the amount of time between games, it is all but expected that Henrik Lundqvist will start that game.

Mazanec will serve as the backup, presumably, for that game and he got a career statline of 8-13-4 with an .895 save percentage and a 2.98 goals against average across three seasons with the Nashville Predators. The bulk of that came in 2013-14 when he made 25 appearance with the six remaining games coming during the 2014-15 (two) and 2016-17 (four) seasons.

In the meantime Georgiev is now in line to start October 19th in Belleville vs. the Senators and on October 20th in Toronto vs. the defending Calder Cup champion Marlies.

If I were a betting man, I would expect Georgiev to be back in time to backup Lundqvist before the Rangers take on the Florida Panthers. That is the Rangers last home game before going on a road trip that includes stops in Chicago, Los Angeles, San Jose and Anaheim.

Georgiev’s first start was rough, but it was an all around disaster defensively. It would be strange for Quinn and company to value that performance more so than the body of work he put together last season. That is why this is likely an opportunity for him to get some game action before the team goes on a road trip.

We will see what happens, but that is what we know for now. Stay tuned for future updates on the situation.