The Rangers have a new ECHL affiliate

The Blueshirts have partnered with the Maine Mariners, a new ECHL franchise in Portland, Maine.

The Rangers have decided to shake things up in the farm system. Today, the Maine Mariners announced that they have become the new ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers. The 2018-19 season will be the Mariners’ first in the ECHL.

“We are honored to be affiliated with such an iconic team like the New York Rangers,” said Danny Briere, Maine Mariners Vice President of Hockey Operations.

The Mariners have replaced the Greenville Swamp Rabbits as the Rangers’ ECHL affiliate. The Blueshirts developed several players — including Cam Talbot — in North Carolina during the team’s partnership with the North Carolina-based hockey team.

“This is a mutual decision for us and New York,” Swamp Rabbits President and CEO Steve Donner said in the team’s press release. “We have both made the decision to go in a different direction and seek a more regional partner. “We would like to thank the Rangers organization for their partnership over the last eight seasons. We are also excited as an organization to see what is on the horizon as we plan for a new and engaged relationship for the future.”

The head coach of the Mariners is 33-year-old former AHL forward Riley Armstrong. You can find out more about the Rangers’ new ECHL affiliate over at their website: marinersofmaine.com.