2019 NHL Draft: New York Rangers Select Hunter Skinner 112th Overall

Vitals

Position: RD

Age on Draft Day: 18

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 174

2018-2019 Stats: 28 Games Played | 2 goals | 9 assists | 11 points

Draft Rankings

Central Scouting (NA Skaters Only): 120th

The Rangers continue their draft with the selection of Hunter Skinner.  He is committed to Western Michigan University and will play NCAA hockey.

Here’s what Skinner’s coach Cody Chupp had to say about him ahead of the draft.

“Hunter was a young kid with a high skill set for us this year. He’s extremely athletic, he has the ability to play a game with pace and physicality .He is essentially what you think of when you think of an NHL pick. He’s a young kid that’s spent a lot of time playing forward in his career up until about a year ago. He’s continuing to develop his defensive game and I think that’s his focus going forward: to be that guy that can play in any situation, and be someone who’s sound and responsible defensively. Because of his athletic ability and his skill set, he does have that ability to add to your offense and fuel your offense. I think he’s an intriguing guy for a lot of NHL teams, first based on his athletic ability, his ability to recover and skate, but ultimately he’s a big body that can chip in on offense and help your team win in a variety of ways. We’re excited to have him back this year and it’s an exciting year for him. We look forward to what he’ll bring to us on the ice as well as his impact as a veteran and a leader.”

It is interesting that Skinner used to be a forward and is now playing defense, and that’s something that was true of 2018 first-round pick K’Andre Miller.