OFFICIAL: New York Rangers Sign Tarmo Reunanen to Entry-Level Contract

The New York Rangers have signed 2016 fourth-round pick Tarmo Reunanen to an entry-level contract.

Reunanen, selected 98th overall in his draft year, is a left-handed defenseman who came in at No. 36 on the 2018 Blueshirt Banter Prospect Rankings, but is coming off a solid season. Blueshirt Banter Foreign Correspondent Alex Nunn interviewed Reunanen in February, and here’s a brief snippet of that interview.

I’ve felt more confident this whole season. The biggest thing that has made the difference compared to past seasons is my better physical condition. I had a healthy practice this summer which really gave me a good starting point for the season.

Coaching staff have encouraged us a lot to be ourselves and use our strengths which is very important, especially in our team when we have many youngsters playing their first season against men.”

Here’s what the Rangers had to say in their press release.

Reunanen, 21 (turned 21 years old on March 1), skated in 58 games with Lukko in Liiga this past season, registering six goals and 19 assists for 25 points, along with 40 penalty minutes. He established Liiga career-highs in several categories in 2018-19, including games played, goals, assists, and points. Reunanen led Liiga defensemen in their U21 season or younger in goals and points, and he also ranked second among Liiga defensemen in their U21 season or younger in assists in 2018-19. Reunanen is one of five Liiga defensemen who have recorded at least 25 points during the regular season in either their U21 season or younger since 2009-10 (along with Sami Vatanen, Esa Lindell, Ville Pokka, and Sami Niku). In addition, he ranked 12th among all players in Liiga - and ranked second among players in their U21 season or younger - in average ice time in 2018-19 (21:14).

The signing of Reunanen means that the Blueshirts will have yet another defender to find a place for between the pro club and Hartford, and this latest signing could be a sign that the team will look to free up the log jam occupied by veteran players.