Rangers make the Shattenkirk buyout official

It’s done.

The Rangers have made it official.

As we first learned last night, the Rangers have bought out Kevin Shattenkirk’s contract.

“Today’s decision was a very difficult one,” Rangers President John Davidson shared in the team’s brief press release this afternoon. “Kevin is a great person and teammate and he was extremely proud to be a New York Ranger. We wish him and his family all the best going forward.”

Shattenkirk left money and term on the table in order to fulfill his childhood dream of becoming a New York Ranger when he signed his four-year, $6.65 million AAV contract as a free agent on July 1, 2017.

“It’s an opportunity that may only come once in my career, and I felt like this was my chance,” Shattenkirk said after signing. “It’s a team I’m extremely excited about. A lot of the factors outside of money and term came into play, and that’s ultimately what won the decision for me.”

He is now an unrestricted free agent and has immediately become one of the most desirable players on the market. Shattenkirk is 30. He notched 51 points in 119 regular season games with the Rangers before being bought out.

Thoughts on Kevin Shattenkirk’s Buyout and What Rangers Could Have Done Differently