Traverse City Stock Report: Out-Foxed By Kakko

Stock Way Up

Adam Fox — Fox was to be the only player in this category, simply to emphasize just how good of a tournament he’s had. Then Kakko Kakko-ed, but more on that in a bit.

Mike and I discussed on the Megashow V3 (Ep. 155) all the reasons why Fox might struggle, but that certainly hasn’t been the case. I marked Fox as a player who wouldn’t see his Opening Night roster spot truly impacted by this tournament; I still think that’s true, but this is as good of a start as Fox could have hoped for.

Coming off a year where he was one of the nation’s best college hockey players, Fox was acquired in a rare “it was OK to knowingly overpay” deal that will likely see Carolina get two second round picks. Expected to make the team out of camp, this tournament has been a good opportunity for Fox to stretch his legs a little. And boy has he.

He was far and away the best player on the ice for the Baby Rangers in a dismal first game that saw totally normal reactions on social media. In the second game, Fox played well to the tune of garnering five points. He was, once again, one of the most noticeable players on the ice day three as well.

It’s very hard to project future success from Traverse City, but you can certainly say it can be something of a building block for kids going into camp. For Fox, it’s been that and more.

Kaapo Kakko — Despite missing the first two games due to an illness, Kakko was able to come out on the third day and simply blow everyone away. He’s an ox, and his size (and ability to effectively use it) is going to be one of the reasons why I think he’ll do well out of the gate with the team in October.

It was one game for a disjointed group that hasn’t played together yet, and Kakko was still that good after joining — even without practicing the few times this team did. That’s talent alone. While we know he has oodles of talent, I was expecting him to have a quiet game against the Wild. He had a quiet 20 minutes, then proved he was the best player on the ice time and time again. (Mike and I gush about him in this week’s podcast — Ep. 156 of the Flagship.)

Three assists — including the primary assist to tie the game with an empty net — before he did this in overtime.

Stock Going Up

Vitali Kravtsov — Much like Fox, Kravtsov has been one of the team’s more noticeable players. At times, like in the highlight below, Kravtsov is playing chess while his counterparts are playing checkers.

At other times — like his back-to-back power play goals on day three — he’s simply better than everyone else. Sure, it’s helps to have Kaapo Kakko on your line, but Kravtsov made a nice career in the KHL by getting to the soft areas of the ice, and this is no different.

And what a pass by Kakko, right? I mean. What. A. Pass.

Karl Henriksson — Henriksson is a player in this tournament with something to prove. While his Opening Night roster spot isn’t in question (he’s not making the team out of camp), Henriksson is a rare European presence in this tournament. That might have something to do with his current status. Adam clarified that status here.

Frolunda’s J20 team starts Sept. 11, which means Henriksson — who will be playing in today’s fifth place game — will be late to that camp. I do wonder if Henriksson isn’t playing for either an NHL contract with the Rangers this year (where he’ll go to Hartford) or for an AHL contract (where, again, he’ll go to Hartford). I will work to confirm his status (Adam and I have a couple of e-mails out to the right people).

All that said, Henriksson has looked good for this team from day one. His presence in front of the net is solid, and his ability to read plays in transition has helped create a ton of offense. His real skill appears to be his vision, though, and he’s been a wonderful puck distributor for the Baby Rangers.

As things current stand, he’s going to return to Sweden and spend another year in the SuperElit league that he dominated to the tune of 49 points in 45 games last year.

Stock Is Roughly The Same

Igor Shesterkin — Traverse City is not a good tournament for goalies, especially goalies that comes in with enormous expectations. Shesterkin has been fine — probably even good — in this tournament, but it’s near impossible to sift through the madness that was social media after the first game. When your team is constantly giving up odd man rushes it’s hard to really notice the goalie in a good way. I have a very funny feeling we’re going to see Shesterkin challenge Alexandar Georgiev out of camp, or at least midway through the year. This tournament doesn’t change that.

Yegor Rykov — Rykov has looked fine in this tournament, nothing special, but again, it’s very hard to judge defensive players here. Fox has taken a large majority of the special teams reps, rightfully so, but that doesn’t help other guys stand out. Rykov will spend the year in the AHL as expected.