AHL announces Feb. 5 as new target start date for season

Will we have AHL hockey this year?

The American Hockey League has announced that its new target date for the start of the season is now Feb. 5, 2021. That date has moved back significantly from the original target date of Dec. 4, 2020.

The AHL’s full release:

American Hockey League President and CEO Scott Howson has announced that the league’s Board of Governors has approved moving the anticipated start date of the 2020-21 season to February 5, 2021, due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis.

The AHL continues to work with its member clubs to monitor developments and local guidelines in all 31 league cities. Further details regarding the 2020-21 American Hockey League season are still to be determined.

It’s beginning to look like the chances of there being a 2020-21 AHL season may be slipping away. The inability to accurately predict where the COVID-19 pandemic will be and how it will impact sporting events months in advance may result in the loss of an entire season of AHL hockey. Of course, the AHL isn’t the only league that has had to consider moving back their projected start of the season. We still don’t know when (or if) training camps will begin for the 2020-21 NHL season.

Should more details on this story emerge, we’ll have you covered here at Blueshirt Banter.