Report: Dougie Hamilton’s timetable to return from latest injury could be weeks away

Bad news for Carolina

Sara Civian of The Athletic is reporting Dougie Hamilton has not re-aggravated the broken leg that held him out for much of the 2019-20 season, but he could still be weeks away from a return. He was deemed “unfit to play” for Carolina’s practice on Thursday after leaving Wednesday’s skate prematurely with an injury.

This is a big blow for Carolina, even with all of its defensive depth. Hamilton is one of the best puck-moving defenseman in the game and what he brings to the lineup is not easily replaced. Given that this is the playoffs, we could see him return to the lineup ahead of this vague week-to-week timetable, but, chances are, we aren’t going to hear anything until game day — because it’s the playoffs.

Playoff Preview: 5 Questions with Canes Country

The series between the Rangers and the Hurricanes is scheduled to begin on Saturday, Aug. 1 at noon following an exhibition game against the Washington Capitals on July 29. The Rangers face the New York Islanders on July 29 at 8:00 p.m. ET in its lone warm up game.