2021 Draft Open Thread: Day 1

What’s the over/under on Zoom goofs? Higher than an Eichel trade?

It’s draft day.

The New York Rangers start the day with one pick in the first two rounds — the 15th overall pick (technically the 16th, but the Arizona Coyotes had to forfeit the 11th overall selection). Yesterday, Rick Carpiniello of The Athletic wrote that the Blueshirts could be targeting a goalie in the first round but Blueshirt Banter and others believe the Rangers will be looking to add a center prospect or, simply put, the best player available.

Here are two EliteProspects player profiles you should have open: Chaz Lucius and Cole Sillinger. Then again, they both might be off the board when it’s the Rangers' turn to call in and pick. We’ll find out together. We’ll also find out if today’s the day when Jack Eichel, Seth Jones, and all the other names who are on the block are moved. That’s why our thread is up well before the draft itself, which begins at 8:00 p.m. ET.

Rangers’ Picks

  • Round 1: 15th overall*
  • Round 3: 65th overall (from Buffalo), 80th overall
  • Round 4: 104th overall (from Los Angeles), 106th overall (from Ottawa), 112nd overall
  • Round 5: 144th overall
  • Round 6: 176th overall
  • Round 7: 208th overall/

Rounds 2-7 will unfold tomorrow beginning at 11 a.m. ET on NHL Network, Sportsnet, SN NOW. As you can see from the list of picks above, the Rangers don’t currently have a pick in the second round but will be busy in the third and fourth — unless, of course, something changes.

Please use this as your open thread for the first round of the draft. Have fun and enjoy the weekend.