2021 NHL Free Agency Open Thread
The free agent craziness is set to kick off later this afternoon, but there will certainly be plenty of rumors as a leadup to the opening bell. The regular season starts in just 76 days, and it will be interesting to see how some of these teams handle the flat salary cap. The Rangers are certainly expected to be involved in the madness.
When does it begin
- Date: Wednesday, July 28
- Time: 12:00 p.m. ET/
Where to Watch
- Television: NHL Network (US) | Sportsnet, TSN (Canada
- Livestreams: ESPN+ (US) | SN NOW, TSN.ca (Canada)/
- Gabriel Landeskog and the Colorado Avalanche finally agreed on an 8-year extension that will pay the Avs Captain $7 million annually.
- With their second major transaction of the day, the Blackhawks acquired Tyler Johnson and a 2023 2nd-round draft pick in exchange for Brent Seabrook’s remaining contract.
- Alex Ovechkin announced on Twitter that he would be returning to the only team he’s ever played for, the Washington Capitals. Surprisingly he’s coming back on a five-year term along with a $9.5 million AAV.
- Former Ranger Pavel Buchnevich, who was just traded a few days ago, already locked into St. Louis with a brand new four-year deal.
- The Blackhawks started off yesterday’s madness with an absolutely shocking trade to acquire the reigning Vezina winner, Marc-Andre Fleury. There were some rumblings that Fleury may opt to retire, so his future status still remains in limbo with his new club./
Use this as your open thread for the afternoon and embrace the madness.