New York Rangers Recall Greg McKegg from Hartford

The New York Rangers have recalled Greg McKegg ahead of their final preseason game vs. the New York Islanders.

McKegg’s recall could be just to give an extra regular a rest, as Dryden Hunt and Morgan Barron are still part of the team’s training camp roster. Or it could be in anticipation of Ryan Reaves missing the start of the season as pointed out by Vince Mercogliano of USA Today.

In any case, McKegg is back with the Rangers for now. He skated for the Blueshirts during the 2019-20 season, tallying nine points (five goals and four assists) in 53 games played. Last season he was part of the Boston Bruins organization, and he rejoined the Blueshirts in the offseason.

While we don’t know the specifics of the callup, I really am leaning on it being a situation of wanting to give another regular the night off. There’s no reason to risk an injury by playing in a meaningless final tune up, so it would make sense to see Barron, Hunt, and McKegg all dress tonight.

We will see once the team announces the lineup for tonight’s game, and we’ll have more on that in our Game Thread a little later on today.