Rangers partner with PWHPA

MSG will host a PWHPA game on Feb. 28

Professional women’s hockey will be played at Madison Square Garden for the first time on Feb. 28, 2021.

The home of the New York Rangers will host the first stop of the PWHPA’s 2021 Secret Dream Gap Tour. Future stops in Canada and the United States are expected to be announced at later dates. This marks the first time an NHL team will officially host a PWHPA game.

From the team’s press relase:

“This is a major milestone for women’s hockey and young girls who aspire to play professional hockey but don’t have the option to make it a career today,” said Jayna Hefford, PWHPA operations consultant. “NHL teams are uniquely positioned to elevate women’s hockey to the next level. They bring major brand strength, corporate relationships and access to a fan base. I want to thank the New York Rangers and Bauer Hockey for helping us reach this achievement. We’re even more excited to celebrate this milestone on National Girls and Women in Sports Day.”

Last month, the Rangers demonstrated their support of the NWHL by sending cardboard cutouts of the entire roster and head coach David Quinn to Lake Placid in support of the Metropolitan Riveters and the Connecticut Whale. The franchise has also held clinics for girls’ and women’s hockey in the past involving PWHPA and NWHL players.

It isn’t often we see sponsors or partners publicly support the PWHPA and the NWHL. Generally speaking, it is usually a case of supporting one or the other. This is definitely a welcome sight and speaks to the Rangers’ investment in promoting the growth and stability of the women’s game.