Zac Jones, Colin Blackwell, and Kevin Rooney make Drury’s Team USA

The 2021 World Championships begin on May 21 in Latvia

New York Rangers general manager and president Chris Drury has selected Team USA’s roster for the 2021 World Championship which begins on May 21 in Riga, Latvia. Three New York Rangers have been selected to the team.

Kevin Rooney, Colin Blackwell, and Zac Jones are among the 26 players on the U.S. men’s national team. This will be Rooney and Blackwell’s debut for the U.S. national team. Both veteran forwards are under contract with the Rangers through next season. Former Ranger Brian Boyle, 36, is also on the roster.

“We’re excited with the roster we have and look forward to the World Championship,” Chris Drury said in Team USA’s release. “It’s a unique year and we appreciate the dedication and commitment of everyone. We really like our team and our goal, like every other team our country puts on the ice, is to bring home a gold medal.”

Jones, 20, is the youngest defenseman on the roster and its second-youngest skater. He had four assists in 10 games with the Rangers in the 2020-21 season after winning a national championship at UMass in his sophomore season. The 68th overall (3rd round) pick of the 2019 Draft had a goal and an assist in five games at the 2019 IIHF U20 Worlds with Team USA.

Team USA’s last three medals in senior Worlds competition were won in 2103, 2015, and 2018. The Americans finished seventh at the 2019 IIHF Worlds, which were hosted in Slovakia.