Official: Gerard Gallant Named New Head Coach

the former Vegas bench boss is the 36th coach in team history

Well, it took them long enough. This afternoon the New York Rangers officially announced the hiring of Gerard Gallant as the 36th head coach in franchise history, confirming the reports from earlier this week.

Gallant is coming of a successful stint as head coach for Team Canada during the World Championships, which saw Canada’s D squad win gold. The former bench boss of the Vegas Golden Knights sat out the past NHL season after he was removed from the position midway through the 2019-20 season and after he took the Knights all the way to the Stanley Cup Final in their first year in existence.

Rangers owner and CEO James Dolan had some thoughts on the new hiring

As did new President and General Manager Chris Drury

Gallant was the top choice for the rookie GM and seemingly the perfect fit from the get-go. Now that the Rangers have locked up their new coach for the next four years, all attention turns to what his roster and assistant coaching staff will look like. I am sure we will get more clarity on that sooner than later.