New York Rangers Draft Jayden Grubbe 65th Overall

With the 65th overall pick in the 2021 NHL Draft, the New York Rangers selected center Jayden Grubbe from the Red Deer Rebels of the WHL.

Grubbe was ranked 94th by Elite Prospects, 87th by Bob McKenzie, 149th by FC Hockey, and 101st by McKeen’s Hockey. The Rangers’ newest prospect stands 6’3” and is 201 pounds, and described by Elite Prospects like this.

If there’s a defining skill here, it’s Grubbe’s defence. He’s less aggressive, and more quietly intelligent, eliminating off-puck threats, reading switch offs, and constantly scanning and adjusting. In transition, he builds speed under the puck, pushes plays to the middle, and finishes his off-puck routes to create space behind him.

Grubbe suffered a torn ACL in March, and is currently rehabbing the injury. Via the Red Deer Rebels:

It’s getting there. I’m back on the ice now so that’s nice. It feels pretty normal actually, it’s just a matter of getting that strength back. Just getting that bit of quad muscle back to normal is the biggest thing right now. His rehab has included mobility exercises in an attempt to restore a full range of motion and weight training to build the hamstring and quad muscles. Now I’m working out in the pool and running and biking with my trainer. I’m just doing what I can to rebuild muscle.

The Rangers will pick again in the third round at No. 80 overall.