New York Rangers Re-Sign Brett Howden

Howden is now eligible to be exposed for the expansion draft.

The New York Rangers have extended forward Brett Howden.

Before you freak out, the Rangers needed to sign Howden to give them the option to expose him in the upcoming expansion draft.

This is not to say the Seattle Kraken are going to pick Howden, they won’t, but this now gives the Rangers the ability to protect someone like Colin Blackwell instead.

There’s not much to say about Brett Howden. He’s been very bad for the Rangers, and should be in the AHL. It is baffling that he never spent time there, because I believe had he done so that Howden would have developed into a somewhat serviceable player. He was trusted to be a defensive forward under head coach David Quinn, and he struggled mightily in that role.

There’s obviously a chance he gets a look under new head coach Gerard Gallant, but ultimately I feel the Rangers will make moves this summer which push Howden out of the picture. At least I hope that’s the case for the good of the team and what they hope to accomplish.

If you want more information on Howden’s recent season and his career to date, I recommend you check out the report card Jack just wrote up.

2021 Report Card: Brett Howden