Blueshirts By the Numbers: Number 9 - Adam Graves

After a few days break, we are ready to get back to our Blueshirts By the Numbers selections, and today is the one
I've been looking forward to most, because although JD, Pierre Larouche, and Ron Greschner will always be near the top, my favorite Ranger of all time will always be Adam Graves.

Signed as a free agent in September of 1991, "Gravy" gave his heart and soul to the Rangers both on and off the ice for ten seasons, most of them spent perched on Mark Messier's left wing. A former second round pick of the Detroit Red Wings in 1986, Graves was then traded to Edmonton in 1989. After two so-so seasons with the Oilers, he was allowed to walk as a free agent, and found his scoring touch playing next to Mess.

In that magical 1993-94 season, Adam became just the second Ranger in team history to eclipse 50 goals (Vic Hadfield was the first), and set a new single season record with 52 goals. (a record since broken by Jaromir Jagr)Graves also had seventeen points in the 1994 playoff run.

During his Ranger tenure Graves won many league and team honors. He won the NHL's King Clancy Memorial Trophy in 1994, presented annually to the NHL player "who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made noteworthy humanitarian contributions to his community".

In 2000, Graves was honored with the NHL Player Foundation award, "recognizing the NHL player who applies the core values of hockey - -commitment, perseverance and teamwork - to enrich the lives of people in his community."

The Professional Hockey Writer`s Association awarded Graves the Bill Masterton Trophy in 2001 as the "NHL player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey."

Graves was also named Rangers team MVP twice, in 1992-93 and 1993-94.

In February of 2009, Number 9 took its rightful place in the Garden rafters, when the Rangers retired it.

And if I ever catch up with the guy who stole my authentic Adam Graves jersey out of the back seat of my car way back when, there's going to be some havoc.

Here is part one of a series of videos chronicling Adam Graves Night at MSG. I just love it for the final two or three minutes, when he is with all the fans.