Carl Hagelin Suspended 3 Games

New York Rangers rookie forward Carl Hagelin has received a three game ban by the league's front office for his hit to Ottawa's captain Daniel Alfredsson. Hagelin has no previous history of offenses that have resulted in fines or suspensions. Brendan Shanahan's video explanation stresses in the "key points" that it was clearly an elbow (Hagelin received an elbowing major the hit) and that it resulted in an injury for Alfredsson.

From Andrew Gross:

Carl Hagelin was late on the ice after his 1:30 disciplinary hearing with Brendan Shanahan. Hagelin texted an apology to Daniel Alfredsson, a fellow Swede, and said he hoped the Senators captain would be able to play in Game 3. Reports are that Alfredsson suffered another concussion, which would make it two this season against the Rangers.

No question NHL weighed fact that Daniel Alfredsson, future Hall of Famer, sustained an injury on the play.

Join me for more after the jump...

No word yet if this means Chris Kreider is going to get plugged into the lineup, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if that is the move the Rangers make. We'll keep you posted on any updates or developments on this story.

It is safe to say that officials have lost control of the games this postseason and that the decisions made by the Department of Player safety have been controversial at best. Weber gets a $2,500 for a move straight of out professional wrestling, Chris Phillips receives nothing for a similar hit to Hagelin's, and Hagelin gets three games despite no history of suspensions or fines. Just makes you shakes your head.

Kevin's Thoughts: Three games...for an elbow, I expected one, maybe two, but three? And Weber walks away with a $2,500 fine? Really? I should stop with the rhetorical questions. If Hagelin gets three, then the entire Pittsburgh Penguins better be suspended until the All Star Break for what they did in Philadelphia this afternoon.