Discussion of the Day: 10/25/23

Happy Wednesday everyone! The New York Rangers emerged victorious against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday with Chris Kreider, Alexis Lafrenière and Filip Chytil picking up goals in the 3-1 win.

Recap: Rangers Douse the Flames, Win 3-1A three goal surge in the second period led the Rangers to victory as they came from behind to beat the Flames 3-1. While it wasn’t a picture perfect showing, the Rangers bounced back from a sloppy…

The Rangers return to action on Thursday where they will take on an Edmonton Oilers squad that will be without Connor McDavid, and the Blueshirts will look to reinforce their lead in the Metropolitan Division.

Tuesday’s game against the Flames was the Rangers’ sixth of the young season, and while it isn’t quite a big enough sample to make a judgement on, today’s as good a time as any to take a quick temperature of the fanbase.

Which player(s) have stood out to you in a positive or negative way?

Has there been a player that is making you question how you thought about them? Is there a player you are disappointed with, or one that’s really impressed you?

The Rangers have had a bit of a balanced attack thus for on offense, and their top contributors are pretty close together. It will be interesting if we get to a point where a player or two create some significant distance, but that will depend on whether or not Peter Laviolette makes deployment adjustments. So far he’s found a nice balance and let his lines gel, and it is nice to see that he’s being patient while also keeping players accountable by finding opportunities to double shift those who are thriving.

For this I will give one player that I’ve been pleased with, and one that’s underwhelmed.

Kaapo Kakko hasn’t properly been rewarded for the work he’s done this season. Through 6 games he leads forwards with a 69.64 xGF%, is fifth with a 60.41 CF%, and tenth with a 49.39 GF% per Evolving-Hockey. He’s been valuable along the boards digging out pucks, cycling, making defensive plays in all three zones, and his 1-1-2 stat line doesn’t do him justice. He’s a kid that many expect to take off playing on the top line with Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider, and the early data suggests that he’s due for some positive regression.

K’Andre Miller’s not had the start I thought he’d have in Laviolette’s system which should benefit someone with the skating ability and instincts he possesses. It’s been just 6 games but he’s got a 43.56 GF%, a 46.31 CF%, an a 45.65 xGF%. Jacob Trouba’s metrics aren’t much better, but he’s closer to break even with a 49.07 CF%, and a 50.99 xGF%. Again, it’s been a short sample of games, but he’s a player I am keeping an eye on because he should be able to have an impact.

I’d love to know if you feel similar about these players, or if you have different choices altogether. In any case, I hope you have a great Wednesday, and I will see you again on Thursday.