Inside the Division: 8/27 Henrique and Grabovski sign.
Grabo becomes a Cap, Henrique signs a six-year deal to stay a Devil, Boychuk signs a one-year with the Canes, and Douglas Murray surprises no one by parting ways with the cap-pressured Penguins.
Here is the second installment of "Inside the Division". Please treat this as your open thread for the day and take the opportunity to enjoy some of the outstanding coverage found on other SB Nation hockey blogs- especially those of divisional rivals old and new. With training camps and the preseason now just weeks away teams are taking a look at who is left on the market and are doing their best to finalize their rosters. It's going to be interesting to see where some of THESE names (remaining UFA in the league) end up before the season starts. Let's jump right into your links for today:
- WSH: Rob Parker over at Japer's Rink takes a look at how Grabovski is going to fit in with the Caps. | Becca H. from Japer's ranks the Metro Divisions Top Ten Left Wingers (two Rangers make her list). | Caps Comparables: Ward and Grabovski.
NJD: Henrique inks a six year deal to stay a Devil. | What does losing Kovalchuk and Clarkson mean to the Devils' possession game?
NYI: Dominik over at Lighthouse Hockey takes a look at key dates in the Isles' schedule. | LHH summarizes NHL.com's 30 in 30 coverage of the Isles.
- PIT: Douglas Murray signs with the Habs. | New goaltending coach for Fleury and Vokoun. | Malkin playfully scraps with a kid in Russia. Yes, you read that correctly.
PHI: Giroux will skip Canada's Olympic Camp. | Kurt R. from BSH takes a look at where the Flyers took shots from last season.
- CAR: Canes nab Tolchinsky away from the Rangers. | Boychuk signs a one-year deal. | Canes Traverse City roster is announced.
- CBJ: Why the Blue Jackets and Rangers are a ready-made rivalry. /
In the Division
Columbus Blue Jackets- The Cannon
Carolina Hurricanes- Canes Country
Washington Capitals- Japer's Rink
Pittsburgh Penguins- Pensburgh
New York Islanders- Lighthouse Hockey
Philadelphia Flyers- Broadstreet Hockey
New Jersey Devils- In Lou We Trust
- Do you guys think the Blue Jackets and the Rangers are a ready-made rivalry? I know that I am not the only one that was pulling for Lumbus the past few seasons with all of the former Rangers on that squad but things are a little different now that they are in the division with us.
- What are your thoughts on the Grabo signing? Does it make up for the otherwise very quiet offseason for the Caps?
- Who is the most interesting UFA that is still on the market? For a list click HERE.
- What do you think of Henrique's deal and would you be happy if Derek Stepan got a similar deal?
Let me know what you think about these divisional stories and more in the comments section guys and gals. Let's talk hockey and let's go Rangers.