Lias Andersson Won’t Be Returning to the New York Rangers for Playoffs

It appears as if the saga between the New York Rangers and Lias Andersson is finally reaching a conclusion, and it will lead to an eventual breakup. According to Larry Brooks, the Rangers had reached out to Andersson about rejoining the team for the 24-team playoff resumption, but the 21-year old has opted to remain in Sweden for the foreseeable future.

This bit of news comes about five months after John Davidson reportedly reached out to Andersson after he left the team, and appeared to rekindle some of the relationship between the two parties.

Report: Rangers Speaking to Lias Andersson About Returning for Potential Season Resumption
EXCLUSIVE: Lias Andersson In Talks to Rejoin HV71 in Sweden for 2020-21 Season

Unfortunately, this latest development likely signals the end of Andersson’s tenure in New York as he appears set on not returning. I’m sure Jeff Gorton will explore the market to see if there are any takers for the former seventh-overall pick, but I can’t imagine there will be much recouped value.

UPDATE: Here is what John Davidson had to say to the New York Post:

We had discussions with Lias about coming over for camp, but he felt it was better for him to stay in his home country at this time,Davidson told The Post. We respect that decision.

We had a number of good conversations. He told me he wants to be a New York Ranger. We’ll continue to hold his rights and down the road we’ll have discussions about where it’s best for Lias to play next season.

So it will either be an exit via trade or running out the remainder of his contract in Sweden with HV71, who Anderson was in talks with for the upcoming 2020-2021 season. Overall, not a great outcome for either party involved but I’m sure this was expected with the way everything has transpired up until this point.

Thoughts?

*This story has been updated to reflect John Davidson’s statement to New York Post