New York Rangers Game Thread: 12/20, Rangers at Hurricanes

The last game of the Blueshirts' road trip and the first game of their home and home against the worst team in the Metropolitan Division.

Game Thirty, the New York Rangers at the Carolina Hurricanes
Record: 15-10-4

Rangers vs Hurricanes coverage | NYR roster | Canes Country

It's nice to have a game start at a time that we are more accustomed to, isn't it? Time zones can be real jerks sometimes. Tonight the Rangers are going for their fifth win in a row against Eric Staal and the Carolina Hurricanes. The Hurricanes are in the basement of the Metropolitan Division and it certainly doesn't look like they'll be getting out anytime soon. In 31 games they are 9-19-3 and are 3-7-0 in their last ten games. Yeah, things are pretty damn ugly in Carolina.

In regards to the special teams battle- the Canes are solid when they are shorthanded and they are right in the middle of the league (which is better than the Rangers) when it comes to their efficacy on the man advantage. Tonight, the Rangers should do everything they can to attack the Canes defense and goaltending because an early goal could do a lot of damage against a team that is 28th in the league in scoring. If the Rangers win tonight it will mean that they have won 5 in a row and that they were perfect on their road trip. It will also mean that they will be tied with the Washington Capitals for third in division with a game in hand. No team in the Metropolitan Division has played fewer games than the Blueshirts.

The New York Rangers' December Schedule

12/1 Tampa Bay at the Rangers, 7:00 (loss)
12/6 Rangers at Detroit, 7:00 (loss)
12/8 Penguins at Rangers, 7:00 (win)
12/13 Rangers at Vancouver, 10:00 (win)
12/14 Rangers at Edmonton, 9:30 (win)
12/16 Rangers at Calgary, 9:00 (win)
12/20 Rangers at Carolina, 7:00
12/21 Carolina at Rangers, 7:00
12/23 Capitals at Rangers, 7:00
12/27 Devils at Rangers, 7:00
12/29 Rangers at Dallas, 8:30
12/31 Rangers at Florida, 6:00

Mike's Player to Watch: Rick Nash

I normally try to avoid doing the same player twice in a row... but, I mean, c'mon. Nash had 2 great goals against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday and he is currently riding an 11 game point scoring streak into tonight's game against the 'Canes. Most of what there is to say about Nash has been said by me and the other writers on Blueshirt Banter, but I just can't explain how great it is to see him healthy and attacking the net. I'll write it every time I put an article together. I'll write in Christmas cards and on grocery lists. Nash has been the engine for the Rangers' offense and, thus far, that engine has been tireless, extraordinary, and about as reliable as they come. He's really and truly a special player, and tonight he's going up against a very shaky defensive team.

Let's go Rangers! Let's make it 5! Hope you have a great weekend. Happy Holidays.