New York Rangers Game Thread: Rangers Vs Flyers, Game 5

Here we go gang; Game 5. Hopefully the Rangers show us a little more effort and determination than they showed us in Game 4. All eyes are on the Rangers power play and whether or not Steve Mason can repeat his brilliant Game 4 performance. As I’ve said before, the Rangers WILL get power play opportunities because the Flyers are the Flyers and the refs simply can’t miss all the crap that they pull. It’s just a matter of making them pay when the Rangers have the man advantage.

In Game 4 the Rangers were 0 for 4 with only 5 shots on the power play. It just wasn’t good enough. The Flyers game winning goal was a beautiful deflection by Jakub Voracek. This series continues to be about the special teams battle, it’s time for the Rangers to get back on the right track and start turning their power play into the weapon it was in Game 1 because even strength scoring has been a struggle for the Blueshirts.

Mike’s Player to Watch: Brad Richards

After an inspiring effort in Game 1 Brad Richards has been a non-factor in the series and has, at times, been a detriment to his team when he’s on the ice. Richards has looked lost on the power play and has been coughing up pucks to the more physical Flyers throughout the series. I would like nothing more than for Richards to prove me wrong but I think he’s going to again be a non-factor tonight. The Rangers need Richards to step up his game in a big way if they want to get past the Flyers and move deeper into the playoffs. Here’s hoping that he gets back on the right track this afternoon at MSG.

Let’s go Rangers!

Gotta get the win this afternoon.

Talking Points