New York Rangers Preseason Game Thread: 9/26, Rangers at Blackhawks

Tonight the Rangers‘ “Squad B” is taking on Brad Richards‘ new team, the Chicago Blackhawks. I don’t think any of us were expecting the combination of Henrik Lundqvist and Cam Talbot to allow 5 goals to the Devils, but that is what preseason is for. Well, that and devastating injuries that absolutely bone the Rangers for a 1/10th of the season. I am sure the defensive breakdowns and bad puck luck won’t be an issue that we see tonight, because I doubt that the coaching staff hasn’t stressed better decisions with the puck and more sound positioning. Anyway, let’s check out the rest of the schedule and then take a look at my player to watch tonight!

Full 2014 Preseason Schedule

Monday, September 22—vs. New Jersey 7:00 p.m. (Losers)
Friday, September 26—at Chicago 8:30 p.m.
Monday. September 29—vs. Philadelphia 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, September 30—at Philadelphia 7:00 p.m.
Friday, October 3—vs. Chicago 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, October 4—at New Jersey 7:00 p.m.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP

Mike’s Player to Watch: Mats Zuccarello

Because he is the first Ranger since Michael Nylander that I feel like I could watch play for hours and hours. Zuke had a huge season for the Rangers in 2013-14 and the Rangers are going to need more of the same from him this season. Zuke is a big part of this team and a big part of the power play. In a lot of ways I hope that he doesn’t lead the team in scoring again because if that is true, that means that something has gone horribly wrong with one of the bigger names (or a few of them).

With that being said, preseason games are all about keeping an eye on everyone that is playing, especially the veterans looking to get a roster spot and the kids looking to make a name for themselves. Tonight’s game will have plenty of interesting kids in the lineup, including Anthony Duclair, that are very much worth our attention. I can’t wait to watch what the other half of the Rangers’ roster looks like against the Blackhawks squad.

Let’s go Rangers!

Talking Points