New York Rangers Recap: Rangers Fall 2-1 To Ducks In Shootout

After coming off a disappointing overtime loss against Los Angeles, the Rangers were looking to bounce back with a win. Although, it didn't pan out the way they were hoping for.

This game started off with tons, upon tons of penalties being called. I think we only saw a few minutes of 5-on-5 per period. Andrew Cogliano got the Ducks on the board first with a goal coming about halfway through the first period. The Rangers had a defensive lapse, which left Cogliano wide open for a tap in.

The Rangers came out in the second period, looking a little bit better than they were in the first period. Although, they still were unable to generate anything. Lundqvist was amazing for the Rangers again and made probably, the save of the year, on Bobby Ryan.

The penalties seemed to subside in the third period, and we finally witnessed some 5-on-5 hockey. With under five minutes left, the Rangers looked all but done, until Brad Richards ripped a shot over the shoulder of Hiller. Richards knotted up the game at one, and the Rangers stole a point from the Ducks.

Follow after the jump for more, and individual player analysis.

Nothing came about in overtime, and we headed to a shootout to decide the final point.

Erik Christensen

, Brad Richards,

Mats Zuccarello

, and

Artem Anisimov

were the four Rangers shooters, but were unable to beat Hiller. Both Anisimov and Zuccarello had Hiller beat, but couldn't lift the puck over his leg.

The Rangers came out with a lucky point in this one. They head back to North America tonight, and have two points to their name. No doubt that the European stretch had a factor in the Rangers energy throughout these games. The Rangers will have the rest of the week off, and will face the New York Islanders next Saturday at 7:00.

Now onto the individual player reports.

Marian Gaborik: He had a good game up front, and had a couple of chances. It was a very defensive and sloppy game tonight, and Gaborik couldn't bury one.

Michael Del Zotto: He started out fine, made some great plays. Although, in overtime he probably gave all of New York a heart attack, when he skated back into his own zone. Other than that, it wasn't a terrible performance from him.

Henrik Lundqvist: What else can you say about Hank? He played absolutely insane for the Rangers today, and basically stole a point in this game. Without Hank in these last two games, we would easily be coming back empty handed.

Brad Richards: Again, like Gaborik, he wasn't able to generate much offense. The Ducks gave him no room, but he wound up tying the game, which was very clutch.

Dan Girardi: The only thing he didn't do the Rangers today was score a goal. Other than that, he was blocking shots, making great defensive plays, and was easily the best defenseman out there for the Rangers.

The Rangers come out of Europe with two points. While it's always nice to win, coming home with something, is much better than nothing. The Rangers will have a week off, until they face the Islanders next Saturday. Have a good one, everyone.