New York Rangers Win Phase 2 Draft Lottery and Will Select First Overall

After days of suspense, we finally have our answer.

The New York Rangers will be selecting first overall in the 2020 NHL Draft and will have Alexis Lafreniere staring them in the face as they make their selection. Just days after being eliminated by the Carolina Hurricanes, New York walks away as winners with a pretty massive consolation prize.

Lafreniere has long been considered the far and away No. 1 pick in this year’s draft, and he will most likely be Broadway bound. Last season with the Rimouski Oceanic of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, the 18-year-old amassed 35 goals, 77 assists and 112 points in just 51 games.

The lottery win comes just a year after the Rangers moved up to second overall where they selected prized winger Kaapo Kakko. Lafreniere will now join a young core that includes Hart trophy finalist Artemi Panarin, Igor Shesterkin, Kaapo Kakko and several other young, and promising prospects.

Oh and did I mention:

ALEXIS LAFRENIERE

Talking Points