NHL Draft 2016: Rangers Select Left Wing Tim Gettinger 141st Overall

The New York Rangers selected left wing Tim Gettinger with the 141st pick of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.

Gettinger, a teammate of Rangers’ 2014 second-round pick Brandon Halverson with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL, is thus a player I’ve watched a lot. He came into the year with hype as a potential first-round pick. Those expectations were perhaps not met in scouts’ eyes, leading to his fall. In my opinion, it’s to the Rangers’ benefit. We’re usually scared of drafting big players because it’s usually used to justify a lack of skill, but I don’t see that applying to Gettinger.

He uses his size well as a net-front presence and protects the puck well. He’s a capable skater for his size. His hands are better than one would anticipate on first impression. I honestly don’t view Gettinger much differently as some of the big-bodied forwards who are sometimes taken in the second or third rounds.He very well might just need some time to grow into his body. And has legitimate upside as a third-line winger who can go in the slot on power plays and play penalty kill minutes. With some developmental luck he could perhaps even become the top-six power forward teams covet.

Talking Points