Ranger News: USA tops Russia 8-1 at Junior Evaluation Camp

I know it says USA on the headline but this is Ranger news. Ryan Bourque had a goal and Derek Stepan had an assist for team USA. Word is that Kreider was a healthy scratch. Let me give you the Bourque highlight in the story written by USA Hockey:

Team USA gave itself a comfortable cushion with four goals in the second period. After Carlson connected on a power-play goal two minutes into the frame, Jeremy Morin(Auburn, N.Y.) slipped a breakaway shot low past Trifonov at 3:36 of the second, extending Team USA’s lead to 5-1. After Russia replaced Trifonov with goalie Dmitry Shikin, Ryan Bourque(Boxford, Mass.) and Kristo each connected to give Team USA a six-goal lead after two periods.

It would appear that Chris Kreider didn't get a point. Regardless it is good to see the Rangerskids working out. We have talked often about how scouts say Bourque would have been a first round pick if he was a few inches taller; so it is good to get a look at him finally. Also we have heard nothing but brilliant things about Stephan so it is good to see him too. This tournament will be a big litmus test to see how these kids will develop.

If you want to see the entire scoring summary here it is:

First Period - Scoring: 1, USA, Kristo (Stepan), 2:03; 2, RUS, Tarasenko (Kulemin), 2:17; 3, USA, Palmieri (Czarnik, McRae), 2:44; 4, USA, Budish (Carlson, Schroeder), 11:55 (ppg). Penalties: RUS, Burmistrov (roughing), 3:52; RUS, Guryanov (hooking), 10:10; RUS, Kostev (hooking), 11:10.
Second Period - Scoring: 5, USA, Carlson (McRae, Palmieri), 2:16 (ppg); 6, USA, Morin (unassisted), 3:36; 7, USA, Bourque (Moore), 10:11; 8, USA, Kristo (Fowler, Moore), 15:00 (ppg). Penalties: RUS, Nikontsev (diving), 1:46; USA, Morin (slashing), 7:25; USA, Morin (tripping), 7:25; RUS, Guryanov (tripping), 9:37; USA, Wideman (hooking), 11:01; RUS, Ostapchuk (hooking), 14:42; RUS, Selyanin (hooking), 17:31; USA, Comrie (hooking), 18:19.
Third Period - Scoring: 9, USA, Schroeder (Palmieri, Carlson), 18:02. Penalties: RUS, Burmistrov (slashing), 1:52; RUS, Selyanin (slashing), 7:12; RUS, Chudinov (roughing), 8:07; USA, Johnson (holding), 13:14; RUS, Selyanin (high-sticking), 16:31; RUS, Zaytsev (roughing), 19:59.

I think we will see great things from the Ranger prospects at this camp. I have very high hopes for Bourque and Stepan. The jury is still out on Kreider because he is so young and has yet to be challenged on anything higher than a prep-school level; this tournament will change that. Keep you're eyes on him because he can be a game changer.