Rangers News and Notes: 10.16.09

Alot going on in Ranger land today so here you go.

[Note by Jim Schmiedeberg, The Fourth Period has the Rangers number one in their power rankings. I know these things are purely opinion, but still nice to see the boys getting props] Okay, back to Joe:

Right after my story airs on my loving the Kotalik signing Wes Goldstein from CBS Sports echos my sentiments! He does a top 10 signings of this off-season and the Rangers have two players--Vinny Prospal and Ales Kotalik--on the list. He also mentions some guy names Marian Gaborik. Here are the Ranger highlights from the full story:

Vaclav Prospal:Prospal didn't have a job until training camp was about to begin, so he came a lot cheaper than Gaborik for the Rangers. Prospal's numbers declined sharply last season, but the 34-year-old'shistory with coach John Tortorella make him a worthwhile gamble that has more than paid off to this point. Prospalis playing on the top line with Gaborik, and both have picked up 10 points in New York's seven games so far, six of them wins.

Ales Kotalik:Start witha Ranger and end with one, but Kotalik gets a mention because of what he's added to the New York power play. The Rangers were 29th in that department last season, but rank in the top 10 now because they are connecting twice as much as they did. Kotalik seemed to be an expensive free agent signing at $3 million a season, but his booming shot from the point has made a difference for New York when it has a man advantage. He has three goals among his seven points, and two have been on the power play.

Pretty cool huh? Click after the jump for more news and notes for the day.

Patricks recall legendary grandfather with Bettman - NHL.com - News
Dick and Craig Patrick joined Gary Bettman Thursday on the NHL Hour to talk about their famous grandfather, Hall of Famer Lester Patrick.

Rangers alive and scoring to start season - Hockey Wires - MiamiHerald.com
As it turns out, safe is death in New York.

1010WINS.com - Cop Accused of Flashing Gun on LIRR Appears in Court

Steve Zipay gives his thoughts on the who the Rangers should put between the pipes in his blog:

Goaltending.  Lundqvist or Valiquette? Valiquette has played well against Leafs in his career, (3-1, 2.05 GAA). Rangers play San Jose on Monday at home. Leafs are in-conference though, and Devs, on Wednesday, are in division.

My personal opinion? Start Stephen Valiquette against the Leafs tomorrow and let Henrik Lundqvist take the reigns against San Jose on Monday and the Devils on Thursday.

Our good friend Andrew Gross goes over at Rangers Rants made a good point about the Rangers win over the Kings:

John Tortorella was one happy coach (well, as happy as John Tortorellawill allow himself to be) after this win. He knew his team was tired. He knew his team’s legs were shot in their third game in four nights. And the Kings, with players such as Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughtyt, are an up-and-coming team in this league.

I fully agree and I know that most of you do as well. This New York Rangers team has managed to grinding out a few very tough wins--the one two days ago against the Kings and the game against the Devils--which must have really bolstered the confidence of this team. Make no mistake here, the Kings might have been the most difficult team the Rangers have played against this season. And if it weren't for the heroics of Lundqvist they might not have gotten those two points.

Also in that story written by Andrew Gross he talks about the difference between having a good power play and a Marian Gaborik:

In a way, this game certainly had the feel of one of the Rangers’ early-season games last season. Outplayed but still victorious. But one big difference was two power-play goals that actually provided the margin of difference. Last season, the Rangers aren’t scoring those power-play goals. And last season, the Rangers didn’t have anybody to score a goal like Gaborik did in the third period. His stickwork and skatework on the play were great, keeping himself onside (just barely), dragging the puck while it was almost behind him and then getting his stick in front of him. He disguises his shot as well as anybody in this league and, in a spot like that, the goalie is helpless.

In case you missed that goal--by far one of the prettiest I have ever seen--here it is for you all: