Rangers Recap: Rangers 2 Wild 1

First off, before we look back at last night’s game, I want to thank everyone who logged in yesterday. Blueshirt Banter is growing every day, and that’s thanks to you. As I’ve said before, it’s going to take a group effort to grow this site, and you guys are certainly doing your part. The open thread for the game was fun last night as well.  I sincerely appreciate everyone’s participation.

Although the final score doesn’t reflect it, I thought the Rangers dominated most of this game. They allowed only 3 shots on goal in the 1st period, and outshot the Wild 30-19 overall. Henrik Lundqvist didn’t get a lot of work tonight, but he was there whenever the Rangers needed him.

Nik Zherdev put the Rangers on the board with 5 ticks left in the 1st period. The Wild tied it just 91 seconds into the 2nd period, but Scott Gomez answered less than a minute later with an absolute laser of a shot to put the Rangers ahead for good.

I commented last night in the game thread, one thing that has really surprised me about Nik Antropov is his defensive awareness. He seems to make a couple of smart plays on defense every game.

Coming off a lethargic effort on Sunday night, I thought the Rangers energy was good all night, they seemed to have their skating legs the entire game.

After playing what I felt was probably his worst game since returning to the Rangers Sunday night against Ottawa, Sean Avery was back to being Sean Avery, an assist, a few hits, and a great fight with Cal Clutterbuck. (with a name like that you better be a fighter.)

So the Rangers are sitting in 6th place, tied with the Penguins, and the Blueshirts are packing for a game with Atlanta tomorrow night, and then it’s off to the Steel City for a showdown with Crybaby Crosby.

Talking Points