Rangers Vs. Capitals Game 1 Preview: It's Finally Here

The New York Rangers will take on the Washington Capitals tonight in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.

Well here we are, just a few hours before puck drop on the New York Rangers 2013 Stanley Cup playoff run. After a four day layoff, and multiple practices, tonight is finally the night where everything gets started. The Rangers have been chomping at the bit to get tonight's game underway, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be ready for this one.

This will be the fourth time in five years that these two teams will meet at some point in the season. The Rangers went 2-0-1 against the Capitals earlier in the year, before they went on their tirade at the end of the season. Alex Ovechkin has been dominant, and the Rangers will need to keep a close eye on him if they want to have a chance in this series.

VS.

New York Rangers (#6 Seed) vs Washington Capitals (#3 Seed)
Verizon Center - Washington, DC - 7:30 PM
Television: MSG, NBCSN, TSN | Radio: ESPN NY 98.7
Opponent's Blog: Japers' Rink | Tickets: New York Rangers Playoff Tickets

Some Quick Thoughts:

  • There was some hope for some players returning has Brian Boyle returned to the ice for the first time since his apparent knee injury. Marc Staal was also taking drills with the six other defensemen as well. Neither of them are expected to play tonight, but with the lineup unofficial at this point, anything can happen with John Tortorella.
  • To expand on the injuries, there is still no update on Ryane Clowe's status, as he was seen taking part in off-ice workouts prior to the morning skate. Our guess is good as everyone else's, but I think it's safe to say that he is suffering from a concussion at this point.
  • Derek Dorsett continued to skate in his non-contact jersey once again this morning, and there is still no timetable for his return. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays later on in this series as he continues to improve. Same goes for Staal and Boyle as well./

Projected Lineup:

Carl Hagelin - Derek Stepan - Ryan Callahan
Rick Nash - Brad Richards - Mats Zuccarello
Taylor Pyatt - Derick Brassard - Chris Kreider
Darroll Powe - Kris Newbury - Arron Asham/Micheal Haley

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Anton Stralman - Michael Del Zotto
Steve Eminger - John Moore

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

Scratches: Marc Staal (upper-body), Derek Dorsett (upper-body), Brian Boyle (lower-body), Ryane Clowe (upper-body/lower-body?), Matt Gilroy (healthy), Roman Hamrlik (healthy),