Rangers Vs. Capitals: Game 7 Diary

A retro diary from the Rangers Game 7 with the Capitals.

So I'm a pretty active reader of Bill Simmons. It's strange, too, because I don't like basketball and Boston obviously isn't my favorite sports city. But I think Simmons is a fantastic writer, he makes me laugh and his stuff is generally really fantastic. I also think Grantland as a whole has some great stuff on occasion, but that's besides the point.

Simmons does something called a "retro diary" where he live-blogs a sporting event. I've wanted to do this for the longest time, but I haven't found the right place or time to do that. If the New York Rangers needed to win in the final game of the regular season (against the New Jersey Devils) to make the playoffs I was going to do it. They ended up not needing the game.

So what better than to do it right now? This is a huge game, the Rangers season rides on the outcome and the time just seems right.

I'm going to put this right at the top: This writing is legitimately live-action writing. The only thing I'm going to do after the fact is add a photo from the game and set it to run at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow (or today, I guess). So if this seems oddly optimistic or pessimistic it's because at the time of this writing I legitimately don't know what's going to happen in the game.