Rangers Vs. Lightning: Notes After The Rangers 3-2 Win

Notes from the Rangers' win over the Lightning.

- First off, huge props to my Quinnipiac Bobcats with their 6-2 crushing of the Yale Bulldogs. I love when we beat Yale. Especially after the Bobcats were snubbed the country's top ranking, I do expect them to be No. 1 come Monday. Really awesome to see. It's also nice to see the way they won. Down 2-0 early, then scored six unanswered goals. Way to protect the ranking, boys.

- Call it what you will -- and the end of the game was scarier than it should have been -- but that was the best effort the New York Rangers have given all year. It was a full 60 minutes from the Rangers against a very, very good Tampa Bay Lightning team. That was a heck of a game from the Rangers.

- Speaking of heck of a game, Derek Stepan had probably his best game of the year, although I think he's been good all year. Anyway, he scored his first goal of the year, created chances, was good along the boards and made things happen. Hopefully that goal pumps him up.

- Same thing goes for Carl Hagelin in terms of hoping a goal gets him going. Hagelin finished with the game-winning goal and an assist. He was all over the place again, got multiple chances and finally potted his first goal of the season.

- Martin Biron was spectacular. So much for the Rangers "giving the game away."

- The Rick Nash goal was a vintage Rick Nash play. Get the puck, lug it to the net, use his hands to create some space and pop it in. Very, very few players can score a goal like that. Thankfully for the Rangers, Rick Nash is one of those players. Another great game from him, and a big-time goal from him, to boot.

- The Rangers' power play was still inept. It doesn't look like it's getting any better, either. They need to do something. Switch something up, bring someone in, watch more film. But there has to be a solution somewhere.

- That's a very good Tampa Bay Lightning team the Rangers beat on the road. They're quick, dangerous and can make you pay for every little mistake. They made the Rangers pay once, and then the defense locked in and made sure it didn't happen again.

- Ryan McDonagh had an insane first period and then a tough second period. I thought he made a couple of mistakes where he pinched when he should have pulled back. He more than made up for it in the third. He's some player. Makes you shake your head every time he's on the ice.

- Taylor Pyatt was a nice find by Glen Sather. The play he made on the Hagelin goal was spectacular. Read the play, moved through the defenseman and poked the puck to Hagelin. That goal doesn't happen without Pyatt making that play. He's a lot smarter than people give him credit for.

- Arron Asham played over 13 minutes Saturday. And to be honest, I didn't hate it. I thought he played pretty well, and even had a few chances.

Thoughts?