clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Brooke Ammerman to Run Summer Hockey School in New Jersey in July

Hockey is for everyone and if you have a daughter or know a girl in the New Jersey area that is serious about hockey, there is a unique opportunity to learn from one of the Riveters' brightest stars; Brooke Ammerman.

Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

It appears that captain Ashley Johnston isn't the only New York Riveter that will be hosting a local hockey camp this summer! Brooke Ammerman, along with her sister and former teammate at the University of Wisconsin Brittany Ammerman, is once again hosting the Ammerman Hockey School which was founded in July 2014.

-

Brooke and Brittany felt a need to give back to young girl's through the sport of hockey and decided to do so through summer hockey camps for girls ages 5-18. Each summer, Brooke and Brittany host an all girl's ice hockey camp, the Ammerman Hockey School, at the Ice Vault Arena in Wayne NJ, to give back to young girl's and pass along their extensive hockey knowledge. Brooke and Brittany both enjoy being role models for young girls both on the ice and in the community!

Ammerman, of course, was one of the New York Riveters most prolific scorers in the club's inaugural season and finished the season tied with the team lead in points (14) despite missing three games because of injury and/or personal obligations. She was a dominant player at Wisconsin while playing with both her sister and current Riveters teammate Madison Packer and scored 214 points in 152 games.

"Brittany and I had so much fun working with the girls last summer. We focus on skill and skating development, while also including a lot of small areas games to bring their game to the next level," the Riveters' leader in assists shared with me when I reached out to her and asked about the camp. "We are also excited to add a high level goalie school this summer to complete our camp."

For more information about the camp which will take place from July 18th to the 21st in Wayne, New Jersey check out the Ammerman Hockey School's website and their brochure.

Ammerman Hockey School

Brochure (.pdf)

Ammerman, who is one of two Riveters that was born and raised in New Jersey, will be accepting girls aged 5-18 at the camp she co-founded with her sister that has a focus on getting young female athletes to take care of themselves off the ice and reach new levels of excellence on the ice.

Riveters' stars Johnston and Ammerman might soon be joined by other teammates in directly growing the game with summer hockey schools and training camps which provide fans and young female athletes a special opportunity to learn from professionals that are pioneers in their sport. Stay with Blueshirt Banter throughout the NWHL's offseason for updates on the New York Riveters.