SBNation 2009 NHL Mock Draft: With the 19th pick, the Rangers select…..

Right Wing Carter Ashton, from the Lethbridge Hurricanes of the WHL.

*applause from the group of Ranger fans gathered at Mock Madison Square Garden*

Ashton steps to podium, puts on New York Rangers jersey, and poses for pictures with Blueshirt Banter Braintrust.

Here is the profile we did on Ashton a few weeks ago

Carter Ashton:

Pos: Right Wing        Shoots: Left

Height: 6’3”               Weight: 205

Born: April 1, 1991 in Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Current Team: Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)

Final NHL Central Scouting Ranking: #12 North American Skater

What they’re saying: (click the link to see the whole story)

MyNHLDraft.com:

Carter Ashton competes hard every shift, every game. He has good size at 6-2 200lbs. Has really found the net this season, scoring 30 goals(WHL) with 3 games remaining).Good sized winger doesn’t shy away from net or corners. Versatile,able to play all the forward positions

WHL Official Website:

Carter Ashton was the Hurricanes first pick in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft (7th overall). Ashton has had a breakout 2008-2009 season after an injury shortened 07-08 season held him to nine points (5G, 4A) in 40 WHL games. A 91-born forward he was ranked 6th among WHL skaters in the NHL Central Scouting Service’s Western Hockey League Fall Preliminary rankings and was the first Hurricanes forward to reach the 20 goal mark this season.

NHLDraftNotes:

Strengths: Near impossible to knock off the puck. Wins battles for the puck. Very good hands near the net. Underrated overall athleticism. Handles the physical game well.

Weaknesses: Somewhat limited passing ability. Needs help from linemates to produce.

At his best down low and near the crease – has a knack for the garbage goals. Great ability to protect the puck. Boxes out like a basketball player when battling along the boards. Some question his skating, but I think it’s a plus. Stride looks a bit odd, but has good speed, balance, and not bad quickness.

Carter Ashton Draft Prospect Card from NHL.com

Here is Carter Ashton on WHL TV:

Final notes: I was very tempted to take defenseman Simon Despres here, I felt he would help give the Rangers the best defense in the league in 2 years, but ultimately I went with the tough kid from Winnipeg in the hopes that 2 or 3 years down the road he can be an offensive star on Broadway.

We will have the rest of the picks made on Day 6 of the SBNation 2009 NHL Mock Draft as soon as they are available on From the Rink.

Here is one more video of Ashton, his video profile on NHL.com

One last thing on Ashton: The kid’s not afraid to drop the gloves. Go to You Tube and do a search for him, there are a few videos of him mixing it up.

Would you be happy if the Rangers selected Carter Ashton Friday night?

Yes! He’s going to be a great offensive player. 77
No! He’s not the answer 15
Doesn’t matter, the Rangers are trading this pick to move up or for a current NHL player 26

Talking Points