Trade Deadline 2011: Scouting the Edmonton Oilers

The Oilers are competing for another lottery pick and have a number of players who are figured to be available. This is the six edition of the NHL Trade Deadline breakdown and we'll take a look at who may be a fit for the Rangers:

Dustin Penner: His perceived value is likely as high as it will ever be and it would make sense for him to be moved if the right deal lands on Kevin Lowe's desk. Penner is an interesting player, he has a massive frame but still has the hands to be effective in tight spaces. However, the Rangers no longer have a move-able contract to send the other way now that Rozsival is a desert dawg. The Rangers can't offset the salary for next season and that's a deal breaker. Penner would be nice to have for a playoff run, he can bang bodies and would likely become more effective the deeper they go into the playoffs. But his extra year is a killer.

Ales Hemsky: Sick hands, wicked skills, little consistency - sound familiar? Hemsky has had a few good years including two 70 point seasons. But the Rangers have already taken their secondary scoring gamble on Wojtek Wolski. Again, the second year left on his deal is a problem. The Rangers need to reserve as much cap space as they can for this summer. Pass.

Andrew Cogliano: He's been linked to the Rangers since... forever? I'm pretty sure I've heard that a certain anonymous blogger confirming him as traded to the Rangers three or four times now. Cogs is fast and would fit into the Rangers team concept. He could be a fill in at center during Drury's absence but with the emergence of Kris Newbury, it seems like the Rangers are poised to solve that problem from within. Could be wrong though.

Ryan Jones: I gotta say, I like Ryan Jones. He's an energetic guy who is of the Brandon Prust variety. The Rangers could use another bottom six player with Fedotanko and Drury both out for an extended period of time and Jones could be there guy. Whether or not the Oilers decide to move him is another thing. He might be apart of their future.

Sam Gagner: The former first round pick is rumored to be available but there isn't much of a fit with the Rangers. Unless of course they ship Artem Anisimov the other way; remember how much Tom Renney liked Artie?

Jim Vandermeer: Sure, why not. Add his name to the mix of rental defenseman. Not ideal, not pretty, but cheap and maybe good enough to get the job done - I guess?.

Ladislav Smid: Sean Avery could use a punching bag.